Sharing eye-catching images on social media is key to engaging your audience. But with so many different platforms, what are the ideal image dimensions you need to follow in 2023?
In this guide, we'll cover the recommended image sizes for all major social networks, along with tips to optimize your visuals.
Image Sizes for Facebook
For Facebook, there are two main image types to optimize - Open Graph and feed post images.
Open Graph Images
These are the images that show up when sharing links on Facebook. The ideal size is:
- 1200 x 630 pixels - This ensures your OG images look crisp on both desktop and mobile.
Facebook recommends a minimum of 600 x 315 pixels, but go bigger for maximum impact. The 1.91:1 aspect ratio also matches Facebook's layout.
Feed Post Images
When uploading images directly to your Facebook feed, use:
- 1200 x 630 pixels - Same size as OG images for consistent branding.
While the feed can accommodate different ratios, this size will fully fill the column width.
For Facebook stories, use 1080 x 1920 pixels to match the vertical layout.
Twitter Image Sizes
On Twitter, you'll want to optimize images for Summary Cards with Large Images and Summary Cards with Small Images.
Summary Card - Large
This card type allows for bigger visuals that will really stand out in the Twitter feed. Use:
- 1200 x 675 pixels - Displays a large image with the tweet text overlaid.
Twitter recommends keeping cards under 1MB in size for performance. JPGs are recommended over PNGs.
Summary Card - Small
For a more compact look, small summary cards are 800 x 418 pixels. This displays a smaller thumbnail-sized image to the left of the tweet text.
The standard Twitter in-feed image size is 440 x 220 pixels. But summary card images will have much more impact for engagement and clicks.
LinkedIn Image Specs
LinkedIn is great for sharing articles, news, and other content. To customize how your links appear, use:
- 1200 x 627 pixels - The recommended Open Graph image size with a 1.91:1 ratio.
For shared images on a text-based post, 552 x 368 pixels is the minimum. But larger is better if possible.
An ideal aspect ratio is between 3:1 and 2:3 - this gives you some flexibility to adapt across different content types.
Ideal Instagram Image Sizes
Instagram gives you several image layout options. Size Instagram images as:
- Square: 1080 x 1080 pixels
- Landscape: 1080 x 566 pixels
- Portrait: 1080 x 1350 pixels
This matches the default image ratios on Instagram's mobile feed and stories. 1080 x 1920 pixels also works for full screen vertical Instagram stories.
Aim for the highest resolution possible within those dimensions based on your image composition.
Image Dimensions for Pinterest
Pinterest displays Pins in a vertical 2:3 aspect ratio. Key sizes include:
- Pin image: 1000 x 1500 pixels
- Profile image: 165 x 165 pixels
- Board cover image: 222 x 150 pixels
High-quality, visually-compelling Pins tend to get more repins and engagement on Pinterest.
General Tips for Social Media Images
- Always use the largest image size possible without exceeding platform limits.
- Maintain the proper aspect ratio - don't warp or distort images.
- Enable auto-resize on your CMS so images fit each network.
- Optimize and compress images to keep file sizes small.
- Create social-friendly cropped image variations.
- Test different image layouts and dimensions to see what performs best.
Optimizing your social media images will make your content stand out in crowded feeds. Follow these ideal image sizes for each platform you're active on to boost engagement!